Furniture is an investment so give it some tender loving care! We’ve done a post about furniture care in the past but it is never a wrong time to freshen up on these tips and tricks we share with all of our customers!
Tip 1: For all furniture, always use a dry duster!
Tip 2: For spills, first dry with a cloth or paper towel before wiping the surface with a soft, damp cloth.
Tip 3: Never use thinners or chemical-based cleaning products when caring for your furniture.
Tip 4: If you can avoid it, keep furniture away from heat sources.
Tip 5: Cool air can be bad too. Keep your furniture away from air vents or wall units.
Tips 6: When moving furniture, remove all objects from the top of the surface. If the object is heavy, ask a buddy for help!
Tip 7: Put coasters and mats beneath hot objects or things that could spill.
Tip 8: Don’t forget to protect the top of your furniture when writing, drawing, etc. Accidents happen!
This short list of tips will help protect your furniture from the elements and human accidents to keep a happy home!
Image via The Kitchn
Baking brownies from scratch usually involves several ingredients but with the help of The Kitchn, we’ve come across a revolutionary recipe that will save you the time, money and mess that comes with the aftermath of baking.
What kind of recipe might that be? One that only involves two ingredients–yes, that’s right, only two: eggs and Nutella!
Check out the recipe below and try whipping it up for last minute get-togethers, beach trips and all of your upcoming summer picnics – you won’t be disappointed!
Image via The Kitchn
4 large eggs
1 cup Nutella (slightly less than a whole 13-ounce jar)
Optional: 1 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F: Heat the oven to 350°F with a rack placed in the middle position.
- Line the baking dish with parchment: Cut a length of parchment and lay it in your baking dish with the ends hanging over the sides of the dish like flaps. Spray the parchment and sides of the baking dish with cooking spray.
- Begin whisking the eggs: Crack all 4 eggs into the bowl of your stand mixer or your mixing bowl. With the whisk attachment, begin on low speed and gradually increase to medium-high. Continue whisking the eggs until they become light lemon-colored and billowy, and are tripled in bulk. This will take 6 to 8 minutes (slightly longer if you’re using a handheld mixer).
- Warm the Nutella: While the eggs are whisking, measure the Nutella and transfer it to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat the Nutella for 1 minute, stopping every 15 seconds to stir the Nutella. When warmed, the Nutella should be loose and creamy.
- Combine the eggs and Nutella: With the mixer on low speed, drop spoonfuls of Nutella into the egg mixture using a spatula. (With a hand-mixer, add a little at a time and mix in between.) Continue mixing until all the Nutella has been added and is thoroughly combined with the eggs.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes: Pour the Nutella mixture into the prepared pan. Transfer the dish to the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. The brownies are done when they start to pull away from the sides of the dish and a cake tester inserted into the middle of the brownies comes away clean.
- Let cool: Let the brownies cool as long as you can. They are delicious while still warm from the oven, but will easily fall apart. For sturdy brownies, wait until they are completely cooled before cutting or removing them from the pan.
- Cakey Nutella Brownies: For a cakier version of these brownies, use just 2 eggs and add 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour or almond flour along with the Nutella.
Image via ELLE Decor
In the past, office spaces have been traditional and conventional. Make yourself at home by adding flair and homier touches to make your work space more you.
With these tips from us and ELLE Decor, your office oasis is only steps away:
Tip 1: Use contrasting chairs
Just like with your dining set, contrasting chairs can give your desk a laid back and relaxing feel while you work.
Tip 2: Position your desk facing or near a window
By placing your desk in the direction of windows, natural light can boost your morale and productivity while decreasing stress.
Tip 3: Add a “pop” of color to increase creativity
A statement piece in your office can help increase creativity by keeping your mind active.
Tip 4: Match the color of your desk with other “heavy” pieces
By matching your desk with the color of other larger pieces of the room, you can give your office a more uniform feel that may decrease stress.
Tip 5: Use a dining table as your desk
By using tables as alternatives to desks you can create the feel of being at home. Depending on the size of the table, it may help create an atmosphere for collaboration within your workplace.
To give your office a touch of home and soul stop by your local Nadeau for unique and affordable pieces.
Dining Table (T010MB) $464.00 & Book Case (CA039) $250
Broken furniture can be a drag! Use the dry brush technique from our last Fix it Friday post to repurpose any broken piece. If the glass is broken or you have a lack of space for doors in city apartments, it is perfect for a DIY project!
Materials: Paint (several colors), damp rag, paper or paper plate, wood putty, screwdriver, gloves, and paintbrush
Time: Varies depending on wanted look
1. Remove the doors using a screwdriver
2. Spackle screw holes by applying Spackle with your fingers
3. Start painting process by dipping brush into color
4. Brush off onto paper or paper plate
5. Brush onto item you are painting
6. Repeat steps 3-5 until item is fully painted
7. Add hooks for extra storage using leftover screws from door removal
Voila! You now have yourself a unique DIY cabinet!
Image via My Scandinavian Home
When it comes to the dining area of a home we tend to see a matching set of dining tables and chairs, but have you ever thought about switching things up to create a look that’s both random and uniform?
In the past, we’ve noticed that mixing and matching dining chairs will just about get the job done and thanks to helpful tips from Apartment Therapy we’ve re-discovered ways to capitalize on this design trend even more.
In attempting to replicate this design, choose a great table and several chairs in different shapes, sizes, styles, colors, or finishes to either compliment or contrast with the overall set. You don’t need much to accomplish this look, just vision and a keen eye for detail to help reinforce your style.
Stop by your local Nadeau and use the tips to carry out this project on your own!
Image via Apartment Therapy
Image via Apartment Therapy
From everyone here at Nadeau, we would like to wish you all a very Happy Independence Day!
Please note that all of our stores will be closed today due to the holiday, but will be back open on Saturday, July 5th! Stop by this weekend to check out your local stores current stock and pop back onto our blog next week for more news and updates from Nadeau.
Thank you for your continued support, enjoy the holiday weekend and stay safe!
Image via Health & Wellness Blog
When it comes to cleaning the home we need products that we can rely on – after all, they need to tackle the grim that builds up during daily use. But where do you find good cleaners that aren’t crazy expensive while also good at getting the job done? Apartment Therapy has some great suggestions that are not only good value but produce less toxic fumes and are safe for you and your home:
1. Try making this Homemade Citrus Cleaner
2. Barkeeper’s Friend is only $2.00 a canister
3. Seventh Generation Bleach is $4.49 a gallon
4. CitraSolv Degreaser is a highly concentrated version of the Homemade Citrus Cleaner above
5. Earthstone Kitchen Scrub Stones are $3.95 for two stones
6. Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap is $18 a bottle
7. 20 Mule Team Boraxis under $4.00 a box
8. Up & Up Floor Sweeper Cloths are $3.59 for 16 cloths
9. Microfiber Towels are $9.88 for 18
10. Magic Erasersare only $2.69 for a box of two
It is easy to refinish a Nadeau piece if you know how! One of our customers wanted a “pop” of color added to our beautiful hand-carved chairs so we used the dry brush painting technique to create this color-wash finish.
Materials: Paint, gloves, damp rag, paper or paper plate
Time: 15 minutes
1. Dip brush in color
2. Brush off onto paper or paper plate
3. Brush on item you are painting
4. Repeat steps until fully painted
Tip 1: Test color underneath chair first by turning upside down on a sturdy table
Tip 2: When color is too heavy for your liking take damp rag and rub away the paint until satisfied
Yes, it’s as easy as that!
There are many ways to display your patriotic pride this Fourth of July and one that we truly love is DIY thematic decor. These do-it-yourself crafts are fun and easy but what’s even better is they don’t require large expensive purchases! Chances are, you already have some of these little items tucked away in your home – craft paper, surplus materials, or extra school supplies.
Try making your own decor to get your party popping. Keep the festivities continuing even after nightfall with these luminaries, make your home inviting with welcome wreathes, or even add some festive seating for your guests to relax in style. No matter which of these you choose, one thing is for certain: they’ll be great for celebrations to come – happy crafting!
Patriotic Wreath via Sheknows
Luminaries via Hometalk
Festive Seating Corner via Hoosierhomemade